Monday, August 27, 2007

Harlan's Daughter


Ever since I heard about the 6 trapped miners in Utah early this August my ears have been fixed on updates and news about them. The out look is not good, 20 days later and yet another mine collapse resulting in the death of 3 rescue workers. My heart goes out to the families of all these men.
I wrote a song in 2003 called "Harlan's Daughter". You can listen to the song and download it for free using the ReverbNation player in the top right corner of the page. I wrote it based on an interview with Florence Reese, author of the song "Which Side Are You On". Her father and her husband were coal miners and the story of her life fascinates me.

2 comments:

Eleni Binge said...

Beautiful song. I haven't heard that one before, that I recall?
Did I tell you that I used Silent Night for the doc?? It works so well.
--eleni
ps
There are advertisements at the bottom of your page for "banjo ringtones."

Sequoya said...

I'm really excited to see your documentary. Thanks so much for using our song, I'm honored. :) I hope it will be making it's way to the screen soon.
How did they know I used a banjo on Harlan's Daughter? Weird!